04 Oct 2023 Submissions Open: The 2023 (3rd Edition) of LAMS (Literary Award for Medical Students) Nigeria, is here (Oct 10 to Nov 10, 2023)
Submissions for the “2023 OCI Foundation-Auwal Shanono Literary Award for Medical Students (LAMS) Essay Competition” opens on Tuesday, October 10, 2023. LAMS is an OCI Foundation-sponsored national essay competition for all medical students and all medical schools in Nigeria. Scroll down to see the essay topic, prizes, entry guidelines and tips on how to win.
The OCI Foundation (Nigeria) delivers LAMS in conjunction with the Auwal Shanono Foundation, the charity arm of the Nigerian Medical Students Association (NiMSA), which is the umbrella body of all medical students’ associations in Nigeria. It was an initiative borne out of the OCI Foundation President’s desire to inspire literary prowess among future Nigerian medical doctors. The President, Assoc Prof Chris Ifediora, was, himself a one-time medical student in Nigeria.
Detailed reasons and rationale for the OCI Foundation’s involvement can be found HERE.
This is the Third “Nigerian National Edition”, having been held successfully in the past 2 years. The 2021 winners and 2022 winners at the national level can be viewed anytime, while pictures of some of these past winners are available HERE.
A “Regional Nigerian Version” that will enter its 4th edition this 2023 also exists (see HERE), while a “British Version of LAMS” is being planned for all medical schools in the United Kingdom for sometime in 2024. Details of this British version, to be sponsored by the newly created OCI Foundation UK, are still being worked out.
ESSAY FLYER (1 of 2): Flyer 1 of 2: Topic, Tips, Prizes, and Dates.
ESSAY FLYER (2 of 2): ENTRY GUIDELINE
TOPIC FOR ESSAY
A novel, research-driven legislative bill initiated by the OCI FOUNDATION to tackle breast and cervical cancers in Nigeria recently passed both chambers of the 9th Nigerian National Assembly (NASS). The Bill is currently awaiting Presidential Assent before becoming a law of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. Using lessons from the pilot of the same project in Anambra State, where it has been functional since 2019, suggest the best possible ways for an expedited, comprehensive, and effective rollout and implementation of the project across all the senior secondary schools in Nigeria.
Tips For Essay (1 of 2): VIDEO
Tips for Essay (2 of 2): TEXT
- The Bill is titled: “Mandatory Inclusion of Teachings on Breast, Cervical, and Prostate Cancers into the curriculum of Senior Secondary Schools and Colleges of Education in Nigeria Bill, 2023”.
- Link to Video tip: https://youtu.be/IAEAqZ-kWuU
- Full story and video clips from the Public Hearing on Bill are available here (there are more from multiple print and electronic independent news media on the internet, available via Google): https://ocifoundation.org/full-story-pics-videos-public-hearing-of-oci-foundation-inspired-anti-cancer-bill-for-nigerian-schools-at-nigerian-national-assembly/.
- Articles on it, along with links to relevant research (see bottom of this article), were also captured in a number of international media like this: https://news.griffith.edu.au/2023/07/17/a-new-law-in-nigeria-lights-the-way-for-worldwide-cancer-prevention-strategy/.
- OCI Foundation President Interview on Australian national TV regarding the Bill: https://youtu.be/Nlo0cu-whp8?si=8JV-TeWie7xKx6P4.
- List of partners that helped in passing the Bill: https://ocifoundation.org/video-asia-pacific-apac-tv-network-interviews-dr-chris-ifediora-oci-foundations-president-on-research-that-led-to-the-new-anti-cancer-law-in-nigeria-aug-sept-2023/.
- Download the OCI Foundation’s Innovative Mobile Phone Application by typing “OCI CerviBreast on your Android or Apple Smartphone, or by clicking here: https://ocifoundation.org/oci-cervibreast-mobile-app/.
- To access and download the LAMS Essay Guide/Handbook developed by nImsa (Nigerian Medical Students Association, click here: https://ocifoundation.org/essay-guide-literary-award-for-medical-students-lams-essay-competition/.
Participants must be Nigerian Medical Students with valid ID cards from any recognized medical school within the country. Any level study is acceptable.
OPENING DATE: 10/10/2023
CLOSING DATE: 10/11/2023
All submissions must go to: [email protected]
The OCI-Foundation Branded Scrubs
- Aghedo Blessing OSAGIE: +2348020529573
- Amina Sani Danbatta: +2349056069170
DETAILS, BACKGROUND AND REASON FOR LAMS/AUWAL SHANANO COMPETITION
- Inaugural (2020) LAMS for South-East Nigerian Medical Schools: Click HERE.
- Inaugural (2020) National LAMS/Auwal Shanano Sponsored by the OCI Foundation: Click HERE.
- Regional LAMS 2020 winners: Click HERE.
- Expansion of LAMS to become a national project and cover all Nigerian medical schools: Click HERE.
- Appreciation Letters from Nigerian Medical Students: Click HERE.